CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dreaming


I love this magnet. I laughed so hard when I found it. A little too hard making the goth kids at Barnes & Noble walk away from me. At the time, I was right in the middle of so many projects and catching up on school with the kids towards the end of the year. Something had to give. Not wanting that "something" to be my mind, I let things get a little messy around here. To most people that's not a big deal. To me, it's like not brushing your teeth for eight straight days. My home is not a museum, by any means, but I do start to get a little anxious when the dishes fill the sink and Legos are strewn about all three floors of our compact townhome. I'm much better now, but I used to obsess... ask the kids... "Everything has a place and everything IN it's place." No worries... I have savings accounts for all of them for their eventual trips to the therapist. Like I said,

I'm much better now.

These days, when I reach into the fridge for the Vanilla Creamer for my morning cup of joe, I take a second to look at my dreaming friend, breathe in deeply, and let out a little laugh at the OCD I used to be. And when I come back in from the patio, I look around the house...

and I go get the vaccuum.

...

What necessary task do you wish you could just dream away? What would make your life so much simpler if it was already done? Or better yet, never had to be done again?!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Post! I used to be REALLY OCD in high school. It was to the point where I had to have all my clothes on hangers that matched the color (or at least complimented it) then I organized it by short sleeve shirts with collars, short sleeve shirts without collars, long sleeve shirts with collars....etc. I new where everything went because I have a bit of a photographic memory. My poor younger siblings would try to borrow my clothes and sneak them back into my closet, but they didn't know the system. Thus, I could pull the shirt out they wore and said, "WHy are you borrowing my clothes without asking?!" and they were always like, "How does she know?!" They thought I was clairvoyant.

I still tend to be a little that way, although I never let myself get that bad again.

Just today I went shopping and bought all types of fruits and veggies and arranged them in the fridge so they all looked pretty and the colors went together when I open it. I thought to myself, "Self, is this insane, or is this just your artistic self and your desire for aesthetically pleasing surroundings coming out?"

I wasn't sure what the answer was, but I told myself I should NOT confess it. Oh well, there goes that.

I hate ironing. I never do it!

KingdomWriter said...

Hmm, was that 'task' as in singular? The doing the dishes comes first. Then comes dusting, then cleaning floors then washing windows and then... can I just say 'cleaning' full stop?
However, I do love vacuuming! Sad, huh, but at least you get to move around and the results are immediate. Had a house cleaner but she wasn't half as obsessive as I was, she cheated even (don' ask how I know, hehe). Hopefully the children will be trained soon. Yea right!

ChiTown Girl said...

I hate it all!! My ex-husband bought me this pin right after we were married that said, "The only thing 'domestic' about me is that I live in a house!" It still cracks me up! I LOVE to bake and cook, though, so I should get some points for that, right?

HWHL said...

Sugar,
I have a little hand-painted sign hanging in my kitchen that says "We can't BOTH look great - it's me or the house!"

I do keep the house picked up, but as far as "deep cleaning".... just NOT into it. My least favorite cleaning chore would be..... scrubbing a tub. (Or a shower stall...)

D'Arcy,
I am laughing so hard at your little clothing system... I can imagine how baffled and befuddled your poor siblings were! Cute.
:-)

Anonymous said...

I like that magnet too!

I've always kept a clean and organized house, but things have *kinda* slacked off lately!

I WILL get it back!!!

I always feel so much better when things are organized.

Claudia Jean said...

Dust be gone! How great life would be. As it is the rule is that if the sun shines on it, dust it!

I'm not too anal about it as I've heard with some authority that "From dust we come, to dust we return," so what the heck, I'm just visiting with my relatives!

Rowena said...

dishes are the worst. they are never over. and I have rarely had a dishwasher, so really, that's where all my housekeeping energy goes, as meager as it is.

Housekeeping is definitely the thing that I would love to have someone else do. I could do it if I didn't have anything else on my to do list, as it is....

heather rene said...

This post made me giggle! I just read your very nice comment on my blog and I wanted to say thanks! I'm so new to the bloggy world, and I'm so tickled that random people somehow stumble into my little corner of the world. Thanks again; you have a sweet little blog here! Love it.